Animal Care and Use
George Mason University upholds the highest standards of animal care and use and is committed to the humane and responsible treatment of all animals being utilized for research, testing and educational purposes. The use of animals for research, teaching, or exhibition is a privilege, not a right. Mason has an Animal Welfare Assurance Statement which declares its compliance with the various regulations and policies. Failure by any individual to adhere to these standards can jeopardize Mason’s entire animal use program.
For more information, select topics below and to the side.
- Anyone may report animal welfare concerns.
- The Federal Animal Welfare Act prohibits the discrimination or reprisal against any person for reporting a violation of animal welfare regulations or standards.
- Individuals reporting animal welfare concerns may choose to remain anonymous.
- When reporting please provide as much information as possible including the site of incident, the date of incident, the names of personnel involved (if applicable), the species and number of animals involved and a description of the observed condition or activity.
- Your complaint (whether made anonymously or not) will be dealt with confidentially to the extent reasonably possible.
- Direct communication with the IACUC by calling 703-993-6118
- Indirect communication with the IACUC through a supervisor or anyone else.
- IACUC email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- IACUC answering machine dedicated to receiving messages reporting animal welfare concerns: 703-993-8928
- Campus mail at IACUC, MSN 6D5
- In-person at Research Hall Room 135 in Fairfax.